From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:56:41 -0500
Larry Winer reported:
  << When I made my original comments about my novel concept that American
       colleges should primarily be about educating Americans and secondarily

       providing athletic opportunities for Americans- I was besieged with
indignant
       e-mail. >>

I find it encouraging when anyone broaches the question of whether college
athletics are justified in their current form.  A serious and responsible
discussion of "The Proper Role of Athletics in Higher Education" is something
I've wanted to see for a long time.  I have no realistic idea where one could
find that. Testosterone-crazed sports boards don't offer much.  I also doubt
that any college president with a successful sports program and
contributing alumni would touch that subject responsibly with a twelve-foot
pole.

I think it would be a good off-season discussion item for HOCKEY-L and I'd
eagerly welcome the sharing of others' thoughts.  I've tried organizing my
own and merely discovered logic holier than swiss cheese.  I don't know
whether HOCKEY-L was intended for weighty philosophical issues, but I find it
hard to address many typical HOCKEY-L issues (like the proper guidelines for
NCAA tournament seedings or whether college sports is controlled by the NCAA
or the NC$$) without enunciating what the basic objectives of college sports
should be, as opposed to what they may be.

Considering the intellect and sense of responsibility that are regularly
evident on this list, HOCKEY-L may be the last great hope for purifying
college sports and fighting crime in Gotham City.  I have eager cyber-ears
for thoughts expressed on the former.

Bob Griebel
Michigan '67