Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 90 18:05:56 EDT
 FOLLOWING ARE EXCERPTS FROM THE STAR TRIBUNE SUNDAY EDITION:

 The title game got off to a special start, when amid speculation that he might
 return as coach of the 1992 Olympic team, Herb Brooks dropped the ceremonial
 first puck.

 Fans who expected a free-flowing offensive show instead got a tight-checking
 defensive play, but they seemed to appreciate it. Sullivan, who plays at
 Northeastern University, made no attempt to disguise his goals as classics.
 They were just effective.

 The teams reflected the enthusiasm of the crowd, responding with some of the
 best hockey of the week. "The game gave back to the fans what they gave to it,
 and it's nice to do it in a hockey city." said winning coach Shawn Walsh of
 Maine.The victory extended his record to 8-0; he also had coached the winning
 team in 1981.

 Walsh couldn't lose, actually. While his senior goaltender, Delguidice, made
 31 saves, the East goalie was Mike Dunham of Endwell, NY, who will be a
 freshman to pair with Delguidice next season.

 Delguidice made the biggest save of the scoreless first period when he stopped
 Mike Vukonich. He also came up with two key stops on a sequence started by Rob
 Gaudreau in the second period.

 Dunham shrugged off the two goals he allowed out of 30 shots. "This was my
 first time playing in front of a big crowd. It makes it so much more fun." he
 said. "On the first goal, the guy, (Blaeser) had rushed the and knocked me
 into the back of the net, so there wasn't much I could do about it. On the
 second one, the puck was hopping all over the place."

 With both teams' top scorers locked up tightly, the scoring was left to a
 comparatively wide-open second period. Mark Karpen, who went from Eveleth, MN
 to North Iowa junior hockey and then to New Westminister, B.C., gave the East
 a 1-0 lead at 6:45. Karpen, who had 64 goals and 61 assists at New
 Westminister and led his league in scoring, scored on a low shot from the
 right side.

 "Once we got down 1-0, I felt good about our chances," Walsh said. "We've been
 behind in every game so far."

 In the bronze medal game yesterday afternoon, the South crushed the West 9-1.
 Boston College's Bill Guerin scored three goals by the time the score was 4-1,
 early in the second period. Don Granato added two goals as the South took 42
 shots. North Dakota goalie Tony Couture, from International Falls, MN had 23
 saves for the South.

 Summary of scoring, etc to follow in second note. Carol W.