Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 90 11:49:39 EDT
Carol writes:
> The Ref listened but was having no nonsense, so play resumed.   At the end of
> the period, Schoen again approached the Ref to protest and was given a 10
> minute misconduct penalty.  In my opinion Schoen was benched by the coach for
> being very unsporstmanlike.  Even though he was not playing, another player
 sat
>  in the box for the penalty.  Which seemed really ridiculous, because it put
> the West a player short when it didn't need to.  Anyway, I have a question....
> Shouldn't the goalie have sat in the box himself???  I know they usually
 don't,
> but for a misconduct penalty, it would seem appropriate to me.

    Unless the rule has just been changed without me knowing, goalies still
    serve their own misconduct penalties.  If Schoen only got a misconduct, the
    West should not have been short a man, although Schoen would have had to
    go to the box and be replaced in net anyway (so it doesn't sound like it
    was Eaves' choice).  Maybe Schoen got a minor in addition - you say he
    was being unsportsmanlike.  That would have made the West shorthanded.

    I didn't see ESPN's coverage of the gold medal game Saturday, but on the
    11:30 (Eastern) edition of Sportscenter, they showed highlights of the
    North's 2-1 win over the East.  Both teams' goalies were from the
    University of Maine (North's Matt DelGuidice, Maine's expected starter
    this year as a senior, and East's Mike Dunham, an entering freshman), and
    Maine head man Shawn Walsh directed the North to victory.  After Mark Karpen
    gave the East a lead at 6:45 of the 2nd (from Marty Schriner of North
    Dakota and Cory Laylin of Minnesota), Northeastern's Brian Sullivan beat
    Dunham twice to give the North the win.  Sully's first goal came at 14:14
    and was from Jeff Blaeser of Yale.  His second came on the power play
    at 18:37 with Karpen in the box; it was from Keith Carney of Maine and
    Jim Dowd of Lake Superior.  Both goals were scored from right in front
    of Dunham on what looked like East defensive breakdowns.

    Anyway, the reason I mention this (knowing that Carol will probably give
    another great wrapup!) is that those two goals may prove to be big ones
    for Sullivan.  There's still a question mark hanging over him for 90-91,
    his senior year.  He came to St Botolph Street in 1987 as a highly-touted
    freshman, having been drafted in the (third?) round by New Jersey, and he
    lived up to that billing, setting a new Northeastern record for goals by
    a freshman with 20 - which helped the Huskies to the Hockey East title.
    But he was the left wing on a line with seniors Kevin Heffernan and
    Dave O'Brien, who tied for the team lead in scoring in 87-88.  The next
    season, Sullivan was dropped to the second line as Dave Buda, Harry Mews,
    and Rico Rossi made up NU's top line, and Sullivan's production plummeted.
    Last year, with Buda and Rossi graduated, Sully moved back up to the top
    line with the great playmaker Mews, and again he was one of Hockey East's
    top scorers.  Mews has graduated now, so the question for Northeastern
    is: who will give Brian Sullivan the puck?

    - mike