Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 90 09:25:22 EDT
Several days too slow (I keep my rulebook some distance from the terminal -
I'm afraid the two addictions will gang up on me) and maybe more detail
than you want, but . . .

There are 6 classes of penalties: minor, bench minor, major, misconduct,
disqualification, and penalty shot (not in rule book format, but in rule
book words - 1989-1990 NCAA version).

Now verbatim:
----------
SECTION 3. For any major penalty, the offender shall be ruled off the ice
for five minutes, during which time no substitute shall be permitted.
  When a major penalty is imposed upon a goalkeeper, the time penalty shall
be served by the offending goalkeeper; however, a substitute player in
goalkeeper's equipment shall be allowed in the game replacing some other
player. Another player without goalkeeper's equipment shall go to the penalty
bench with the goalkeeeper and shall go on the ice in place of the penalized
goalkeeper when the penalty time has expired. The penalized goalkeeper may not
go on the ice until his teammate with goalkeeper's equipment has left the ice.
Now, does this cover the situation that arose in Mpls?  As I recall, it
didn't happen exactly this way, but the effect was the same.