From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1991 09:32:00 CDT
Since I have played a part in the fuss about relocating the Nov. 16
Minnesota-Wisconsin game to Met Center, I may as well explain my point of
view in hope of shedding more light than heat. :-)

First, a bit of background.  The Minnesota-Wisconsin football game will be
played in the Metrodome in Minneapolis on the afternoon of Saturday, Nov. 16.
As part of a promotion callled the "Border Battle", the Minnesota-Wisconsin
hockey game that evening will be moved from Mariucci Arena to Met Center
(home of the Minnesota North Stars).  Met Center, with a capacity of over
15,000, is twice the size of Mariucci.

In the eleven years that I have had Gopher season tickets, one of the high
points of each season has been the Badgers' visit to Mariucci Arena. The
games are always sold out, with many Wisconsin fans in attendance.  Many
excellent games have been played under these circumstances; these games
are an important part of the Minnesota hockey tradition.

Plans are currently being made to replace Mariucci Arena with a new, larger
arena on campus.  Next season may be the last one in "The Barn."  I must
confess to a bit of selfishness on my part, but I am unhappy that one of
the few remaining games against Wisconsin in the old arena is being taken
off campus.  I am also concerned about the wisdom of giving up home ice
in a potentially crucial game.  The Badgers have lost something like 12
out of their last 14 games in Mariucci. :-) In WCHA tournament games in
the St. Paul Civic Center, however, Wisconsin has beaten Minnesota 3 out
of 4. :-(

Balanced against this are the facts that more people will be able to attend
the game, and the Athletic Department bring in additional revenue.  Dean
Barker's points are well taken; he will be able to attend a game that he
might otherwise have missed.  On the other hand, I feel that we are giving
up a part of Gopher Hockey tradition in the interest of selling more tickets.

So, there it is.  I will have to view this as an experiment, and see how it
goes.  Should anyone want to order tickets, the number for the Gopher ticket
office is 612-624-8080.

-- Erik
Erik Biever                              --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota - Home of the       --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
1994 NCAA Championship Tournament      --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM