From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 90 15:00:19 EDT
----- Begin Included Message -----
From [log in to unmask] Wed Apr 25 18:14:25 1990 (Bill Fenwick)
Subject: How thick should the ice be?

    Are there any regulations regarding how thick the ice
has to be in hockey rinks?  (college or pro) . . .

----- End Included Message -----

I don't recall seeing any (NCAA) rules about ice thickness.  There was a one
page blurb is our Blue Line newletter late in the season about ice surface
maintenance at out arena.  From that I would guess that it has more to do
with the construction of the rink (particularly the underlying "floor" and
cooling equipment than anything else.  The article described the way the
surface was prepared, including the Zamboni "path" both during the games
and a once or twice a week resurfacing across the rink rather than the
general longitudinal path used the rest of the time.  The concerns were
primarily with getting a flat surface, so grooming of the edges, and
Zamboni path appeared to be critical.  As to thickness, as I recall it
is about 1 inch and the considerations are the ice surface and particularly
cracking which occurs if the ice is too thick.  Again, I'm guessing that
this is dictated by the underlying surface as much as anything.  From
discussion I've heard, the temperature of the ice would be the most
critical item as far as uniformity of playing surface from one rink to
the other is concerned.  The colder the ice, the more cooling equipment
that is required, but the faster the surface, and that together with
the "flatness" would be the things players would be concerned about.