From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 90 12:20:00 EDT
>There was an article in the local paper yesterday (that I haven't read).
>The rumor mill has it that Matt signed for about a $75K bonus with
>another $100K if he makes the team.  He had a fine summer of hockey and
>would have been a (the?) stand-out college goalie this year.

    I thought the book was out on Delguidice after last season.  He
    seemed shaky most of the times that I saw him, while King had a
    very good senior year.  Maybe it was all of the pressure that
    was put on him (Delguidice) and the preseason hype, after his
    great 88-89 season.  I have to admit, I was surprised that
    Boston signed him.  They don't have a goalie problem in Maine
    (Mariners), as far as I know.  I expected they would have waited
    until after Matt's senior year.

    Maybe Boston felt that a good senior year would increase his
    worth, so they'd be better off signing him now for less money,
    and at the same time Delguidice thought the deal was good enough
    that it wasn't worth risking it if he had a poor season.  The bonus
    sounds about average for a college player.

>Maine has some potential at goalie (Snow & Dunham) but I'm afraid, with
>my perceived lack of defensive experience, we'll see more ups and downs
>this year and higher scoring games.

    Then again, Walsh has probably dug up several blue-chippers from
    Alberta or British Columbia who will get named All-Hockey East
    and win the Hobey Baker in 2 years :-).

    This late signing is another reason why there should be a
    signing deadline, if you're not going to ban signing of collegians
    altogether (which I do not favor).  Give NHL teams up until
    some date to sign collegians; after the date, no contract can be
    signed until after the season.  Now Maine is stuck with two
    inexperienced goalies for this season.  (But they're two good
    ones, from all reports.)

    - mike