From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1992 16:55:19 EST
After reading Bob's description of HOCKEY-L's reaction to his original
article ("violent discussion"), I thought I had better do MY homework
and re-read everything. I still do not think we had a violent discussion;
quite the opposite in fact.

Here are the quotes I selected from the postings that deal with our
reaction to Bob. Do they sound violent to you? Please, let me know if you
think I mis-quoted or changed any meanings by summarizing. I do not want
to take anything out of context. Did I miss any other "good" quotes?

Note that I added "real world" address for people, not computer addresses.
If all the people involved agree, I may use these quotes in print to
refute Bob's claims in his "A RANK TOPIC" article. I may not have 100,000
readers, but I am not helpless, either.

Or maybe, I'll just ignore him.

Keith
(Email responses to [log in to unmask])

Dave Smith (The Ohio State University):

I just look at TCHCR right now as a general barometer of how teams are doing...
I think that the TU writer is guilty of extreme bias and ignorance in his
article.  His teams are unfairly ranked (he believes...) and he just attacks the
system without trying to understand it.

Mike Machnik (Bull Worldwide Information Systems [MA]):

It distresses me when a writer for as large a publication as the Times
Union does such an unprofessional job as Mr Croce has done here.  He clearly
never sought out explanations from Keith as to why certain trends in TCHCR
occur, he published several blatant untruths in his article, his article was
completely biased towards the local teams without any consideration of the
fact that both are not having good seasons, and worst of all, he gave his
readers the impression of Keith being some crackpot who hates the ECAC and
the glorious hockey teams at RPI and Union.  Not to mention that he perpetuates
the idea that college hockey polls - his, in particular - are the be-all and
end-all of ranking teams despite their documented biases which are worse than
TCHCR.

Keith Instone (Bowling Green State University [OH]):

I will have to thank Bob C for stirring up plenty of intelligent
discussions!! (But he could have done it in a better way.)

Sid Whitaker (University of Maine):

Bob Croce's article shows a complete and blatant disregard for TCHCR and has
no place on the pages of the TU. As far as I'm concerned, Croce should do his
homework and understand what he's writing about before he puts it on paper...
If you understand the basic concept behind TCHCR, then it is relatively easy
to comprehend. Those who do not understand it, or who refuse to make an effort
to acquaint themselves with it, certainly should not be criticizing it on the
pages of a 100,000+ circulation newspaper. This was a new, and very unfortunate
low for the TU.

Eric Maiwald (RPI '87 graduate from ??):

The reporter who wrote that story is especially guilty of bias.  He has his poll
and thinks that it correctly reflects the strength of the college hockey teams.
It does not!!!  It reflects the biases of the voters.  These biases can be based
on home team loyalty or they can be based on which teams the voters have seen in
action.

Bill Fenwick (Cornell University [NY]):

I agree with the HOCKEY-L consensus that Bob Croce's article was way out of
 line,
showing a lack of objectivity and research of his subject -- two serious flaws
 for
this guy in Albany.

Keith Instone again:

I am not getting too worked up about this. Certainly, I want to talk to Bob
about his shoddy journalism.

Tom Tseng (Cornell University [NY]):

After reading so many postings regarding Bob Croce's article on TCHCR, I'm
impressed by everyone's cool and rational response to Mr. Croce's comments...
I agree with all that Bob Croce let his personal bias get the best of him in
this article.

Mike Machnik again:

The best thing that can come out of all this is education...In the interests of
countering Bob Croce's article with education on this matter, Matthew, if you'd
like to send me the address of your friend [an RPI player], I'll send him by US
mail some documentation I have on the system that he and the other players can
look at.

After seeing it, they may consider the ranking more valid - or they may
find flaws in it no one has thought of before (which would be great).  Either
way, I think it helps to learn more about it.  We've had the opportunity
here on hockey-l to discuss trends weekly and ask questions, but people who
don't read h-l don't get to do this.
I sent this to everyone because this is how I think we should respond to
yesterday's inflammatory Times Union article.