From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1980 02:14:38 -0500
I actually have no idea how SLU lost this game, so I can only give you all
the strange, but absolutely true;), details...

SLU puts 50 shots on the Brown net (this total was pretty scant...I would
have put the total near 60 probably;)
Brown puts 17 shots on the SLU net (this total was generous...I would have
put the  total near *maybe* 10 shots in total)
SLU scores 1 goal, Brown 2...

Each team has 4 power plays and Brown is not allowed even one shot on their
four attempts...SLU scores one pp goal near the end to avoid the shutout...

Brown goalie Holowaty appears to have been huge in this game but really
wasn't...he was credited with 49 saves, but really only made about 2 big
saves...this is not to say that SLU's chances were not huge, because they
were...SLU had enough quality scoring chances to score a season's worth of
goals...but in some strange manner Holowaty was able, by flopping onto the
ice, to put some portion of his body in front of some of the intensest
pressure I have seen SLU put on in years...I don't think that Holowaty was
intentionally doing this, I simply felt like there was a huge vacuum area
in the net that refused to be filled throughout the game;)  This sounds
facetious, but it is an honest impression...It just was not one of those
goalie performances where you say, "Wow this guy was a wall...he was the
difference"...Holowaty was laying on the ice for a great majority of the
shots and just seem to be in the way...which I guess is a way to stop
goals, it apparently worked here...but I would definitely say that this was
not a stellar performance by him or by Brown...when people say that a team
"stole" 2 pts, this is what they mean for sure...

I cannot imagine that I am offending any Brown fans by saying that Brown
was just terrible in this game...SLU dominated from start to finish in
every way possible in the game...but SLU lost and Brown won...the better
performance does not always mean a win I guess...I actually thought that
this was the best overall game that SLU has played all year
long...everything was clicking except for getting that tiny little piece of
rubber to cross the line instead of hitting the post, a skate, a helmet,
sitting on the line, being sat on by the goalie while in the net, or
without it somehow bouncing around in front and staying out;)  Never let
anyone tell you that luck is anything less that 99% of hockey...this game
has cemeted that fact in my brain:)

Kevin Todd
SLU '96
VLS '00