From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 14:50:42 -0500
Greg writes...

> >From memory:
>
> there are two Dryden Books, Home Game and
> Our Game.  Home Game is about his playing
> career, Our game is homage to the sport as a facet
> of Canadian culture.  I don't know which is the
> model for the documentary (though I would have
> suspected the latter).

Not quite.  The two Dryden books are "The Game" and "Home Game."

"The Game" was his first book, and it chronicles the last year he
played with the Canadiens.  It is quite a nice piece of writing.
This book is out of print in its original edition, but was re-issued
as a large-format paperback in a "10th Anniversary Edition" last year
or so.  I'd love to find a copy of the original hardcover!

"Home Game" (as we've discussed before) is the Dryden's second book,
and it is both the basis of the CBC documentary series and the book
that discusses hockey in its historical and cultural settings.  It's
the splendid book we were discussing earlier.  This book is still in
print as a large-format paperback, but I believe it is out of print
in hardcover.  That's too bad because my original paperback copy fell
apart as I was reading it.  I was (incredibly) fortunate to find a
hardcover copy at my campus bookstore that had been special ordered
by someone a year ago - they never picked it up!

Hope this helps, Charlie