From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 90 17:15:56 EDT
I'd also like to extend my congratulations to Fern Flaman, Gil Perreault,
and Bill Barber on their election to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

One correction on the Flaman bio that Mike posted:

>       Coached
>       19 seasons from 1970-1989 as head coach at Northeastern
>University...Took
>       the Huskies to the NCAA Final Four in 1982 and to the Hockey East title
>       in 1988, along with four Beanpots and several ECAC titles.
                                              ^^^^^^^
During Flaman's tenure at Northeastern, the Huskies won one ECAC champion-
ship, in 1982, and made one other appearance in the playoffs in 1981.  It
should be pointed out, however, that it was somewhat more difficult to make
the ECAC playoffs before Hockey East was formed (in 1984) than it is now.
Between 1970 and 1984, the ECAC had 16 or 17 teams vying for eight playoff
spots, and a .500 league record was generally not good enough for a
tournament slot.  In addition, Flaman's Northeastern squads had to compete
with a number of great ECAC teams, including Boston University (five ECAC
titles and three national championships between 1970 and 1984), Harvard, and
Cornell (two ECAC titles each).  Boston College, Providence, and New
Hampshire also fielded a number of good teams during that time.  I'm
certainly not trying to detract from Flaman's Hall-of-Fame credentials,
since it's been obvious in several situations that the number of champion-
ships won is not the only, or even best, criteria for judging a coach's
ability.  Anyway, congrats again to the three inductees.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"I wasn't KISSING her.  I was whispering in her mouth."
-- Chico Marx, to his wife when she caught him with a chorus-girl