Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 90 13:22:14 EDT
 FROM THE MINNESOTA DAILY SPECIAL SATURDAY EDITION:
 ****************************
 EAST POWERS PAST WEST First win since '87 puts them in final.
      The East, which hadn't won a hockey game in the Olympic Festival since
 1987, picked an inoportune time to win Friday night, pounding the West 6-2. In
 the process, they knocked the South from the gold medal game and inserted
 themselves.
      Led by former Anoka (Mn) star Mike Vukonich, the East dominated from
 start to finish, outshooting the west 49-24 and picking up 30 shots in the
 first 30 minutes of play.

 Because of tie-breaking rules, the East had to beat the West by three or more
 goals to advance to the gold medal game tonight, but the odds seemed to be
 in the West's favor. So much so, in fact, that after thursday night's press
 conference, North coach Shawn Walsh told South coach Brad Buetow, "I'll see you
  Saturday."
      The win by the East (1-1-1) moves them into tonight's gold medal game
 against the favored North (3-0).  The West (0-3)will take on the South (1-1-1)
 in the bronze medal game beginning at 1:00 PM (CST).
     Vukonich, who will be a senior at Harvard this fall, scored twice and
 added an assist to lead coach Joe Marsh's team.  His efforts included a flashy
 shorthanded breakaway goal that put the East up for good at 3-2 in the first
 period.  The West, comprised of players aged 19 and under, clearly were out-
 played throughout and seemed to grow frustrated as the game went on.  The East
 poured it on from the start, pounding Denver University goalie Bryan Schoen
 with 20 shots in the first period.  Schoen made the save of the tournament less
  than two minutes into the game when Cory Laylin fired point blank from the
 slot and Schoen gloved the puck.
      But the young West defensemen bent and finally broke when Mark Karpen
 flipped a backhander past Schoen for a 1-0 lead.  The end was not far away.
 The West, which has scored only seven goals in three tournament games, tied the
  game on Wisconsin freshman Dan Plante's goal minutes later.  Plante, not
 recognized as a top scorer, netted both West goals giving him three for the
 tournament.
      West caoch Mike Eaves, his team trailing 3-2, elected to insert Gopher
 goaltender Tom Newman into the game at the beginning of the second period, but
 Newman couldn't hold off the East's constant attacks.
 PERSONAL NOTE:  this article does not tell the whole story why Schoen was
 replaced with Newman.  Towards the end of the first period there was a sort
 of confrontation in the crease in front of Schoen.  A West player pushed an
 East player on top of (or into) Schoen.  Schoen became very upset and wanted a
 penalty or something because of the man-in-the-crease.  He went so far as to
 skate after the player yelling so loud that we could hear him in row 14!!!
 The Ref listened but was having no nonsense, so play resumed.   At the end of
 the period, Schoen again approached the Ref to protest and was given a 10
 minute misconduct penalty.  In my opinion Schoen was benched by the coach for
 being very unsporstmanlike.  Even though he was not playing, another player sat
  in the box for the penalty.  Which seemed really ridiculous, because it put
 the West a player short when it didn't need to.  Anyway, I have a question....
 Shouldn't the goalie have sat in the box himself???  I know they usually don't,
 but for a misconduct penalty, it would seem appropriate to me.
 I'll be at the gold medal game tonight so look for a report on Monday.
 Carol W.  U of M.