From:
Timothy S Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 90 14:38:00 EDT
I can't believe no one else has posted this, so let me be the first.

Today, Lake Superior fired head hockey coach Frank Anzalone.  Anzalone, coach
of the 1988 national champions, had been shopping around for a new school
(finalist at Denver although another Frank was hired there) and had
reportedly made very disparaging remarks about Lake State to the Denver
newspapers.

The new coach at Lake State is Jeff Jackson.  Jackson was the top assistant
at Lake State the last few years and is credited with recruiting standout
netminder Bruce Hoffort to the Lakers.  Jackson had been scheduled to take
over as one of Ron Mason's assistants at Michigan State (he was to start
tomorrow) but the surprise announcement reopens the Spartan assistant vacancy.
[Just last week, Anzalone was quoted in the MSU student newspaper as
saying that Jackson might not leave Lake State for the Spartans.  Looks
like he was right!  :-)  ]

This announcement has caught the college hockey world "like an
earthquake" according to trusted sources.