GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 18:27:14 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I hope summer finds you all well. I'm writing to let you know that the
Fourth Annual Conference of GIS Educators in Maine will be held on
Friday, November 18th, at the Augusta Civic Center from 9:30am to 4pm.
Lunch and snacks will be served.

The conference will include...

- Tracks for K12 and higher education, including hands-on workshops
and compelling talks and discussions
- Plenary sessions with exciting speakers
- New curriculum materials, software and data resources to use in education
- Poster sessions to showcase GIS education programs and student work statewide
- Poster & project competition for students from middle school to
graduate school

Free for Students & K12 Teachers!
As in past years, we have a limited amount of funding to allow K12
educators to attend the conference for free and to help cover
substitutes. Also, K12 and undergraduate students may attend the
conference for free. There will be space to request support for
students and K12 teachers on the conference registration form. We
don't have sufficient funding to cover travel this year, but we
encourage you to seek sponsorship and may be able to help you find
businesses and individuals who can help. Continuing education credits
will be awarded upon request.

Propose a Workshop, Poster or Presentation!
We are accepting proposals for workshops and presentations for the
conference from educators and students through August 15th. Click here
to go to our convenient web form for proposing workshops and
presentations: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/959R36R. Guidelines are
below and on the web form. This is a great opportunity for you to
share successful models, projects and techniques.

Poster Showcase & Student Project Competition!
This year the Maine GIS Championships will be held in conjunction with
the conference. Students of any level from middle school through
graduate level are invited to present a project, video or poster.
Students presenting are not required to attend the conference, but
there will be additional awards for those who do attend. The student
posters and projects will be judged by GIS professionals, and there
will be a People's Choice Award based on votes from conference
attendees. More details about the showcase and competition will follow
before the start of the school year.

Spread the Word!
Please forward this email to anyone you know who might be interested,
and stay tuned for agenda and registration information coming soon. In
the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Tora

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson
Director/ Instructor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory
Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

Guidelines for Proposed Workshops, Presentations or Posters

You can propose a workshop or presentation using our convenient web
form here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/959R36R. Guidelines are below
and on the proposal page.

General Guidelines:

- Deadline: August 15th

- An individual may propose up to two workshops or presentations.

- Abstracts should be no longer than 250 words and should describe
specifically how the workshop or presentation is relevant to
education.

Workshops Guidelines

- Workshops may be either 25 minutes or 50 minutes in duration

- Proposed workshops must be hands-on and relevant to the target
audience. Participants must spend the majority of the time working
with software and data on activities which have direct applications in
educational settings. Indicate in your abstract specifically what
hands-on activities participants would engage in; what handouts, data,
software and operating system(s) will be used; and the general
structure of the workshop.

- For workshops in the K12 track, activities should be either
Mac-based or platform independent. We will have 12 Mac laptops
available, and participants are asked to bring their own Mac laptops,
if they have them. For workshops for higher education, you may ask for
participants to bring their own laptops or you may use the 12 Mac
laptops provided (equipped with Mac OSX only). We can also provide
handheld GPS receivers and an LCD projector for use during workshops.
Make sure to note such needs in the space indicated.

Presentations (up to 25 minutes):

- Presentations are invited to inform participants about available
resources, present successful models for projects, and provide
instruction on underlying principles such as technical topics, spatial
learning/literacy, etc..

- Presentations may incorporate slide shows, printed materials,
demonstrations, discussion, etc.

Visit this site to propose a workshop or presentation:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/959R36R

If you have any questions, please contact us at [log in to unmask]

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: