GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"V. Kelly Bellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
V. Kelly Bellis
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 06:39:16 -0400
Hi Wayne,

There's no surprise in the difference we all see between ortho imagery
and World imagery. It's typical.

You'll hear more from Joe Young on this as it's a frequent question he
answers when discussing orthometrically corrected imagery based upon
real ground-truthed survey data and the work done by the
photogrammetrist in wrangling with the roll, pitch, and yawl of the film
plane, aerotriangulation, bundle adjustments, etc.

World imagery accessed from ESRI, Google or from any source isn't ortho
corrected or tied to surveyed ground control.  But as long as you're
aware of its shortcomings and caveats, it is sometimes useful to
georeference; i.e., manually rectify, sections of captured World imagery
predicated on known geopositional data, including ground survey data and
real ortho imagery so long as both the creator and consumer of the work
product are on notice as to the diminished positional uncertainties in
such a quasi product. This is useful, for example, when the resolution
of the ortho image is less than the uncorrected image.

Kind regards,

Kelly

--
<http://aerial.panocea.us/>
Mr. V. Kelly Bellis, ME PLS 2099 :: WQTS485