GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2021 12:48:15 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

We still have room in geographic information systems and GPS courses at
UMaine at Machias for the spring semester beginning Jan 25th and late
spring semester beginning Apr 19th. Courses are all online and hands on
with lots of support from faculty. We offer undergraduate, graduate and
early college courses. See the list below.

To register for undergraduate courses, simply contact the UMM Registrar's
Office at 207-255-1223 to get started. To register for graduate courses
(ANT 521 or ANT 522), visit this site for instructions:
https://online.umaine.edu/how-to-register-for-courses/. High school
students interested in taking GIS courses to earn college credits can visit
https://machias.edu/earlycollege/ to get started.

Note that all courses require an internet connection and a computer. We
provide student software licenses for free, and for students who do not
have a computer that can run the software, we can provide remote access to
a GIS laboratory computer.

Interested in getting a GIS credential? These courses count toward our
four-year Environmental GIS degree <https://machias.edu/environment/>, basic
and advanced GIS certificates
<https://machias.edu/academics/certificates/gis-certificates/>, and our early
college GIS certificate <https://machias.edu/earlycollege/pathways/gis/>for
high school students. Click the links to learn more!

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions!

Tora

*Spring Semester (Jan 25th - May 6th)*

*GIS 102 Our Digital Earth*
(course # 61006): A GIS-based, online earth science course.
4cr; prerequisites: none.

*GIS 300 (undergrad-UMM)/ ANT 521 (grad-UM) Geographic Information Systems
I*
(course # 61007): Fundamentals of GIS with practical, hands-on
applications. 4cr; prerequisites: none.
The course includes optional synchronous ("real-time") lecture sessions
Mondays and Fridays from 2:00PM to 3:20PM. Of course, it's best if you can
participate live, but we will record them in case it conflicts with your
schedule. There are also three *required* synchronous "lab" sessions, and
you will be prompted to select one section when you enroll. Here are the
dates for each of the options...

   - Lab section 61010 meets Sa 10:00AM - 12:00PM on 1/30, 3/27, 4/24
   - Lab section 61011 meets We 6:00PM - 8:00PM on 2/3, 3/31, 4/28
   - Lab section 61012 meets Sa 10:00AM - 12:00PM 2/6, 4/3, 5/1

*GIS 400 (undergrad-UMM)/ ANT 522 (grad-UM) Geographic Information Systems
I*
(undergrad course # 61007/ graduate course # ): Model building, spatial
analysis, spatial statistics, and spatial estimation. 4cr; prerequisites:
GIS I or permission.
The course includes optional synchronous ("real-time") lecture sessions
Mondays and Fridays from 11:00AM to 12:20PM. Of course, it's best if you
can participate live, but we will record them in case it conflicts with
your schedule.

*GIS 428 Web Maps, Apps & Services*
(course # 61039): A practical and applied introduction to web-based
mapping. 4cr; prerequisites: GIS II or permission.
This course includes synchronous ("real-time") lecture sessions to be
arranged to work with students' schedules.

*Late Spring Short Course (Begins Apr 19th): *

*GIS 204 Intro to Satellite Positioning & Navigation Systems*
(Course # 61021): A practical, applied introduction to GPS and GNSS
technology. 2cr; prerequisites: none.
Apr 19, 2021-May 21, 2021

*Fall 2021 Preview:*

   - GIS 300/ ANT 521 GIS I
   - GIS 400/ ANT 522 GIS II
   - GIS 426 Community Applications of GIS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson, PhD (she/ her)
Chair, Division of Environmental & Biological Sciences, Science Hall 107a
Director of GIS/ Associate Professor, GIS Lab & Service Center, Torrey Hall
223 University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] ~ (207) 255-1214 ~ Twitter: @toradignity
Maine Geospatial Institute
<https://www.maine.edu/students/maine-geospatial-institute/> | University
of Maine System

Need to make an appointment with Tora during office hours? Go to
http://bit.ly/toraofficehours

Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis
Like the UMM Science Division on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ummscience/
Looking for internships, jobs or grad school opportunities?
https://sites.google.com/a/maine.edu/careers-umm-science/

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GEOLIBRARY-L&A=1

Or, you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: