GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2018 12:44:29 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

We still have room in our spring and May Term GIS courses at UMaine at
Machias! Please pass the word. For our GIS I and II sequence, choose
between undergraduate or graduate offerings. All of our courses are offered
in online, blended or short-term intensive formats. They involve lots of
hands-on activities and open-ended projects that are immediately applicable
in the workplace or in academic research.

If you plan to just take a course or two, you can call the UMM registrar to
enroll at 207-255-1223.

If you're interested in pursuing a certificate or degree, learn more at
https://machias.edu/academics/. You can apply to the university here:
https://machias.edu/admissions/.

Any questions? Drop me a line!

Tora

*Spring Semester*
*GIS 230 (undergrad- 4cr)/ GIS 500 (grad- 3cr) Geographic Information
Systems I*: A comprehensive, practical and hands-on introduction to GIS.
Blended- all online plus three on-campus Saturday sessions in Machias. This
class is full except for a couple of slots open for any new students
entering our certificate or degree programs. Interested? Contact me
directly. No prereqs. Instructor: Tora Johnson [log in to unmask]

*GIS 330 (undergrad- 4cr)/ GIS 600 (grad- 3cr) Geographic Information
Systems II*: Focused primarily on analysis with raster data and basic
spatial statistics with additional intermediate work with projections,
cartographic design, network analysis and 3D visualization. Choose to
participate all online or on campus. Prerequisite: GIS I or equivalent or
permission. Instructor: Tora Johnson [log in to unmask]

*GIS 428 Web Maps, Apps and Services*- 3cr: A practical and applied course
covering design and delivery of web and mobile maps and applications,
fundamentals of online databases, hosting and serving data and map services
and basics of server management. Online only. Prerequisite: GIS I and GIS
II or permission. Instructor: Bob Bistrais [log in to unmask]

*May Term (5/13-17)*
*GIS 204 Intro to GPS*- 2cr: A 5-day on-campus, hands-on intensive
introduction to using GPS and GNSS to collect location data in the field
and importing it into a GIS map using a variety of GPS receivers and GIS
software. [log in to unmask]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson, PhD
Director/ Associate Professor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory, Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

Need to make an appointment with Tora during office hours? Go to
http://bit.ly/toraofficehours

Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis
Like the UMM Science Division on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ummscience/

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: