GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:55:51 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

Have you been thinking about adding computer mapping skills to your
toolkit? Online and low-residency GIS courses at UMaine at Machias can
help! Below is a list of spring courses, and you can enroll now. Also
listed are summer and fall courses.

To enroll in the undergraduate sections (GIS 300, GIS 400 and GIS 312), you
may call the UMM Registrar's Office at 207-255-1223. Graduate sections (ANT
521 GIS I and ANT 522 GIS II) are listed in the UMaine schedule, and you
may call 207-581-1290 for information about enrolling. High school students
interested in enrolling in our Early College program can learn more HERE
<http://machias.edu/earlycollege>.

You may enroll in individual courses or apply to one of our degree or
certificate programs. Learn more HERE <https://machias.edu/academics/>.

As always, drop me a line if you have any questions.

Best,
Tora

*UPCOMING UMM GIS COURSES*

*Spring 2022:*

GIS 300 GIS I / ANT 521: Online with OPTIONAL weekly lectures MoFr 11:00AM
- 12:20PM PLUS three REQUIRED live sessions:

   - Synchronous for lab section 20207: Saturdays Jan 22, Mar 26 and Apr 23
   from 10:00am to 11:50am
   - Synchronous for lab section 29204: Wednesdays Jan 26, Mar 30 and Apr
   27 from 6:00pm to 7:50pm
   - Synchronous sessions for graduates: To be arranged to work with
   student schedules.

GIS 400 / ANT 522 GIS II (spatial analysis, spatial stats & spatial
estimation). All online with OPTIONAL weekly lectures TuTh 9:00AM - 10:20AM.

GIS 312 Municipal Applications of GIS (land records data mgt & editing,
suitability analysis, open source GIS, maps for land use planning). All
online with weekly required synchronous sessions to be arranged to work
with student schedules.

*Looking ahead:*

   - Summer '22: GIS 204 Intro to Satellite Positioning & Navigation Sys
   (online with one weekend onsite)
   - Fall '22: GIS 101 Geospatial Careers
   - Fall '22: GIS 300/ ANT 521 GIS I
   - Fall '22: GIS 400/ ANT 522 GIS II
   - Fall '22: GIS 420 Remote Sensing and Image Analysis (remote sensing
   interpretation and analysis for environmental, municipal and coastal
   applications) All online with synchronous sessions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson, PhD (she/ her)
Chair, Div of Environmental & Biological Sciences, Science 107a
Director of GIS/ Assoc. Professor, GIS Lab & Service Center, Torrey Hall rm
223
Appointment- http://bit.ly/toraofficehours ~ [log in to unmask] ~ (207)
255-1214 ~ Twitter: @toradignity

UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis ~ UMM Science
Division on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummscience/
Internships, jobs or grad school opportunities?
https://sites.google.com/a/maine.edu/careers-umm-science/

UMM Land Acknowledgement
The University of Maine at Machias recognizes that it is located in the
homeland of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, where issues of water and territorial
rights, and encroachment upon sacred sites, are ongoing. The University
also recognizes that the Passamaquoddy Tribe and the other Wabanaki Tribal
Nations are distinct, sovereign, legal and political entities with their
own powers of self-governance and self-determination.

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=GEOLIBRARY-L&A=1

Or, you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: