GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"V. Kelly Bellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
V. Kelly Bellis
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:26:46 -0400
There actually is /mandatory reporting/
<http://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/22/title22sec778.html> and
testing (§6030-D. Radon testing
<http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/14/title14sec6030-D.html>,
rental properties specifically) to the State of Maine; however, the
Radon Registration Act
<http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/22/title22ch165sec0.html>
and its related sections and Rules apparently (?) didn't provide for
adequate funding for managing these reports - apparently (?) §780. Fees
<http://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/22/title22sec780.html> didn't
cover enough of the associated costs for proper data stewardship.

While /unfunded-mandates/ seems like an old refrain, the report's data
structure
<http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/environmental-health/rad/radon/documents/radon-air-test-report-file-structure.pdf>
at least includes a ZIP_CODE field and an optional ADDRESS field. The
person I spoke with at the DHHS Radiation Control Program kindly
answered my questions while also seeming to be exasperated by the
legislature's lack of follow through and lack of funding.

The idea of mapping Maine's radon levels would probably be short work
once the database had been updated.

--
<http://aerial.panocea.us/>
Mr. V. Kelly Bellis, ME PLS 2099 :: WQTS485

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: