FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deborah White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2018 09:38:41 -0400
Friends of Orono Schools:

*As Student Council Advisor of the Asa C Adams School in Orono, I support
the students in a variety of service projects. This winter the students
became aware that an Asa Adams School family was in need of a wheelchair
lift vehicle. A parent was diagnosed with ALS and was using a motorized
wheelchair. Motorized wheelchairs weigh 500+ lbs. Without the appropriately
equipped vehicle, the family was limited in their ability to go places
together. The Student Council officers decided to raise money to help this
family.After researching fundraising activities for elementary students and
thinking about the pros and cons to each method.  We chose
https://funds2orgs.com/ <https://funds2orgs.com/>  because it is accredited
by the Better Business Bureau, students weren't selling anything, it was
more likely that every student could participate, there was a high return
directly to the cause rather than overhead, and the shoes were not just put
in the landfill.  If we collect 100 bags of ~25 shoes each (gently used or
new, any footwear except skates), we will earn 40 cents a pound or at least
$800.00.The students have challenged their families and the community.
WABI-TV5 broadcast a brief human interest news story on the project. The
Town of Orono is having an interdepartmental competition for collecting
shoes and the University Credit Union is collecting at three of their
branches.  The Orono-Old Town Kiwanis has donated all the shoes that were
donated for their annual Auction and the Orono Thrift Shop donated their
winter stock of shoes. Even with all this community support, we are falling
short of our goal.Sadly, the parent with ALS passed away unexpectedly last
month. The disease progressed much more rapidly than expected. This has
understandably disheartened my elementary school-aged students. After
thoughtful reflection, they have decided to continue with the
#CARINGSOLESCHALLENGE because the family has extraordinary medical expenses
and additional unexpected expenditures. The shoe drive will go until the
end of May.Any quantity of shoes would be greatly appreciated. The footwear
need to be in pairs, have no rips or holes, and generally be wearable. (Any
footwear except skates.)Thank you.*

Deborah White

5th Grade Teacher
Student Council Advisor
MARTL (Maine Apple Refresh Teacher Leader)
Apple Teacher

*Asa C. Adams School6 Goodridge DriveOrono, ME 04473207-866-2151*
*Fax:  207-866-3664*