FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brian McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 12:19:47 -0400
Dear Friends of Orono Schools,

Please attend the RSU 26 annual budget meeting this Tuesday night,
May 16th, at 6:00PM in the Orono High School cafeteria. Babysitting
will be provided. Each year the school board prepares a budget for
our schools which is then presented to a public town-hall style
meeting. This is one of the great examples of New England democracy
at work. The attendees at this meeting have the power, if they wish,
to modify the budget up or down. So by this same token it is
important for this democracy to function that it is well attended.
Several years back, there were less than 10 people who attended.
Those handful of people could have completely changed the budget
anyway they wished and that would have been the budget going forward.
More recently we have attendance of around 70 people. For democracy
to work it is important that there is robust representative
attendance, so please come!

The meeting is fairly short (60-90 minutes usually) and friendly and
informal. You are encouraged to ask questions. A moderator is there
to help guide you in the process. And it is mostly your friends and
neighbors in attendance - people often even say they had fun attending!

After this meeting the adopted budget will go to an up-or-down ballot
vote on Tuesday June 13th (at the Orono Town Hall). So please put
that on your calendar and vote. Or vote early the week before.

An additional (and final for this school year) chance for input to
the district is our annual goal setting exercise. Each year, the
board adopts a set of goals (last year we had 7 goals) for the
district for the coming year. We will be setting the district goals
for the 2017-2018 school year at our June 6 and June 20th board
meetings. You can provide input into what should be our goals for the
schools for the coming year through three methods:
1) fill out a paper questionnaire at the annual budget meeting
2) attend a workshop from 5-6 PM on June 6th in the town council
chambers (we always have a good discussion and hope you will come)
3) fill out this online survey by June 6th:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17KvILzCc9ZtkezumMGL5TC9oQfXHq7MQrt9U8-X-B8U

As always thank you for your time and input to our schools. We highly
value the community's engagement with the schools and your opinions
are really important in guiding the board. We hope to see you Tuesday!

Sincerely,
Brian McGill, RSU 26 board chair on behalf of the entire school board