FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Brian McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2017 06:58:01 -0400
Greetings Orono school community,

I wanted to invite you to our second student growth and achievement
workshop happening this coming Monday, April 3, at 6PM in the high
school library. We had a very successful workshop in October that was
well attended by parents, teachers, students and administrators.
Indeed, I think it is fair to say many attendees were surprised by
how fun and interesting it was. We identified a great deal of common
ground. At the workshop this Monday we will have two goals: 1) to
finalize a list of values shared by all groups in this district
around student growth and achievement (an online survey on the draft
values was circulated in January) and 2) begin a discussion about how
we can measure and assess success practicing these values.

To be truly great as a district all members of our school community
need to collaborate together towards a shared vision. And the topic
of student growth and achievement is central to our purpose as an
educational institution. Please come and share your opinions and help
us work towards ensuring the best possible education for all of our students.

As a quick recap of other opportunities for input in the near future,
please note the following. The board will be discussing and
finalizing the budget at our April 4 and April 25 meetings (both at
6PM in the town council chambers). The annual budget where citizens
can discuss and vote on the budget is in the evening of May 16th. We
hope to see all of you there - especially at the annual meeting where
having a large representation of the community is critical. There
will also be surveys going out by email to all parents in the next
couple of weeks seeking feedback on your principals and schools.

Your time, energy and input are greatly valued.

Thank you,
Brian McGill, RSU 26 Board Chair on behalf of the board and administration