FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Mary Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:04:49 -0400
Whether you're a fan of Aretha, the Beatles, Italian Baroque, or ukulele music, or just want the rollicking fun of an Irish tune on St. Patrick's Day, there's something for EVERYONE at tonight's Orono All Choirs Concert!
Read on:

The annual All-Choirs Concert will take place on Tuesday, March 17 at 6:30pm. Singers from Orono Middle School and High School and ukulele players from Orono High School and the "Riot Sound" Show Choir will all be performing at the University of
Maine's Hauck Auditorium. Admission to the concert is free so be sure to show up early to get a good seat.

The Orono Middle School Choir, under the direction of Terrence Henry will start the concert off with an Italian Baroque piece by Antonio Lotti. Since it's St. Patrick's Day, the middle school choir will sing a traditional Irish ballad, "The Gypsy
Rover" and will finish their portion of the concert with a Beatles song appropriate for the end of winter, "Here Comes The Sun".

The High School Concert Choir, also under the direction of Terrence Henry will start their portion of the concert with a beautiful Z. Randall Stroope piece, "Omnia Sol". We quickly move to a song familiar to anyone who has seen the movie, Shrek,
"I'm a Believer". We finish our performance with an arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" made famous by the Hawaiian singer,  Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. The piece will feature a duet by Concert Choir members,  Emma Elz Hammond and Mercedes Feero as well as
accompaniment by the Orono High School Ukulele Orchestra. Following "Over the Rainbow", the Orchestra will be featured in a performance of Simon and Garfunkle's hit song, "Cecilia".

The All-Choirs Concert will then feature Eric Claptonís "Tears From Heaven" sung by all of the girls in both Choirs and the Beatles song, "Get Back" by all of our boys. The concert will finish with the award winning "Riot Sound" Show Choir under
the direction of Cami Carter and Terrence Henry. They will be performing their set that received a I rating at the District V Show Choir Festival in February, "Riot Sound" will also be performing at the State Show Choir Festival at the end of March.

Come be a part of the celebration of music-making in the Orono Schools!