FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Marc Veilleux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:24:12 -0500
Has anyone out there thought about bringing a new dimension to our schools
and community at large vis-a-vis the so-called Maker movement?  This
movement is all about creating maker spaces, places where people can come
to teach and learn how to use various tools and materials to build anything
from software and tech gizmos to traditional craft projects.  Although it
is often linked to STEM education, it is really more in the nature of STEAM
education because of the arts and design dimension.

There appear to be a number of grants and resources that might be tapped
into to develop such a space, though I'm not certain where our community
might best locate it.  In fact, it seems like there may be quit a bit of
grant money available in this area.

 Maybe our community is not well suited to take something like this on.  On
the other hand, maybe it could take off.  I know we have some existing
activities that fall under this umbrella, including our Adult Education
programs and the school shop facilities.

 Below are some links to articles on the topic.  While I did not attach it
because of size limitations on the list serve, you might also search for
the Makerspace Playbook online, a PDF publication about getting something
like this started.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we had a facility like this that also
incorporated a modest auditorium for related teaching, performing arts, and
Ted-talk like presentations!  Like our own little Maker incubator.

If you know of other email networks that reach more people in and around
Orono and the greater Marsh Island area, please forward.

https://www.njea.org/news-and-publications/njea-review/march-2014/make-your-space

http://www.weareteachers.com/blogs/post/2015/04/03/how-the-maker-movement-is-transforming-education

http://stemtosteam.org/

http://makezine.com/2012/04/04/makerspaces-in-education-and-darpa/