FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:38:45 -0500
From:
Emily Jackson Sanborn <[log in to unmask]>
Marc - this is a great idea!!  My girls and I have dabbled w/ Maker
community activities and projects, and it would be amazing to have a
community space.  One of the things I like about the Maker community is it
really brings together people from all ages, backgrounds and interests.
Portland has a pretty strong Maker community, and just made their space
last year - http://obportland.org/.  There is a Hacker group in Bangor
http://www.hackmaine.org/, https://twitter.com/mainehackerclub - which is
sort of like Maker but focuses just on technology.  We have a lot of
resources and expertise here in our area, I think we'd just need to
establish that people are truly interested and motivated to work for it.

If there are enough people interested, OPIE (Orono Partners In Education)
might be a good fit.  Basically, OPIE is a 501(c)3 dedicated to raising
grant money for school and community projects that would benefit RSU26
children. The OPIE Facebook page is here
https://www.facebook.com/Orono-Partners-In-Education-OPIE-603458849799549/
and the website is here https://oronopie.wordpress.com/.  I'm the current
President, and our Board is currently full, but we encourage anyone to
attend our meetings and anyone who wants more involvement is absolutely
welcome (and if anyone is please email me at [log in to unmask]
and I'll get you info)!!  Groups that want OPIE's help fill out an
application, and then OPIE tries to provide the resources that group needs
- which might be finding other interested folks who want to help write
grants, or acting as the nonprofit that can receive grant funds and
distribute them back to the project, or even as a sounding board for
clarifying the details of a project.

Are there other people on this list who might be interested in working
toward a Maker space?
-Emily