FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS Archives

Friends of Orono Schools

FRIENDS-OF-ORONO-SCHOOLS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender: Friends of Orono Schools <[log in to unmask]>
From: "shayne d. cobb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:13:04 -0500
T. Y., Orono P. D.
* UNDERAGE DRINKING TIP LINE.
To submit an online tip visit the Orono Police Department's website at http://police.orono.org/ and follow the prompts. Tips can also be submitted via text message by texting keyword "Orono" along with the tip to 274637 (CRIMES).  When an eTip arrives at the Orono Police Department, it is completely anonymous.

Orono PD launches underage drinking tip line
In Orono, community members now have a free, confidential way to keep youth healthy and safe by reporting underage drinking parties and/or adults who are providing alcohol or other drugs to minors.
Orono Police Department's underage drinking tip line is anonymous and easy to use. Anyone with information about a party that may take place, a party in progress, or an adult or business furnishing alcohol or other substances to minors can submit a tip. To submit an online tip visit the Orono Police Department's website at http://police.orono.org/ and follow the prompts. Tips can also be submitted via text message by texting keyword "Orono" along with the tip to 274637 (CRIMES).
When an eTip arrives at the Orono Police Department, it is completely anonymous. Law enforcement may text back for more information and, if a person chooses, they can text back and forth with the officer. However, the full exchange will remain 100 percent anonymous.
"As community members, we can all prevent underage drinking and support youth in making healthy decisions" says Jamie Comstock, Healthy Promotion Manager at Bangor Public Health and Community Services. "Orono's eTip line provides the community with a resource to help protect the bright healthy futures of our young people." In the coming months, Orono Police Department and Bangor Public Health and Community Services will work together to highlight the value of the eTip service to the Town of Orono's parents, community members, and youth. Residents can expect to see posters, flyers, and advertising related to the tip line and underage drinking prevention.
"We hope this new eTip service will send the message to our youth that we are concerned about their safety, and make it easier for everyone to report underage drinking and drug use," says Orono Police Chief Josh Ewing. "These tips could potentially save lives and prevent tragedies, and we thank the community in advance for sharing this information with us."
(THE PENOBSCOT TIMES 2/25)