EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:12:37 -0400
as i understand it, Pound saw the role of the poet very
much in the confucian sense of being one who advised the king...
the poet was an embodiment of the ideal of the chun tzu -
or "superior man"... and his advice on political, moral and
social issues was as important his poetical creations...
they were, in fact, not separate.

still, it is important that we always keep alive to this tension
which exists between life and art... it is an outward manifestation
of the inward tension that exists between one's habits and
one's unconscious. should pound scholarship overlook his
political pronouncements simply because there are so few
of them in the Cantos? (as has been suggested)...  i think
the Cantos are political through and through... it's just that
some versions are more palatable than others.  if Pound
sought audience with the king.duce/president/chancellor/etc.,
it was because he felt his ideas were worth listening to...
why should we overlook them as being unimportant?

Stoneking