EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Robert E. Kibler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 00:45:09 -0500
On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:19:46 -0600 wrote...

Pound certainly did not translate de Mailla's multi-volume Histoire. Whether he
translated those sections he used into English before putting them into the
Cantos, I don't know. But Achilles Fang's old dissertation on materials for the
study of Pound's cantos identifies all of those sections of De Mailla that
Pound used, in the order in which he used them. Dats where you needs to go, I
betcha. Only problem is, Fang was using an old cantos text, so you will have to
transpose.

I am researching Pound's China Cantos and I have been looking at John J.
>Nolde's transcriptions of Pound's notebooks in Blossoms from the East.  Are
>they word-for-word exact?  Where could I find more material on them?  Does
>anyone know if Pound used abbreviations when he translated de Mailla's
>Histoire Generale da la Chine? ------Kathy Wilson

Robert E. Kibler
Department of English
University of Minnesota

                fortunatus et ille, deos qui novit agrestis,
                Panaque Silvanumque senem Nymphasque sorores.