EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:34:37 -0500
Of course 'stilted' is a relative term, so I can't
disagree with you outright.  But if one compares the
diction of Pound's early works with that of the poetry
that was being written at the time and with that of the
generation preceding, we find in Pound a relatively
natural,  straightforward, even colloquial language,
and it stays that way, even as he begins to experiment
with non-iambic meters.

Also, take a look at Pound's review of Robert Frost's
first book of poetry, where P. condemns in lesser
writers (not meaning Frost) the use of the
'circumplectious polysyllable' -- I hope my memory has
not twisted Pound's delightfully sarcastic phrase into
something unrecognizable.

Tim Romano