EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:40:34 -0800
>Dear Subscribers:
>
>I just want to thank everyone who responded to my query regarding the
>meaning of "Villonaud" (see Pound's "Villonaud for This Yule").  I had
>no idea that Pound was an admirer of Villon.  This fact certainly adds a
>new and fascinating dimension to my comprehension of the poem.  Thank
>you!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Tanya Adele Koehnke

Pound has a chapter on Villon in his "The Spirit of Romance,"
and compares him to Dante in one respect at least. I don't have
the book on hand now, but I think Ez calls Villon a shrill
Canto for the Comedia written too late to be included in
the original text.
Lines from Villon's poem about men waiting to be hanged
occur in fragments throughout the Pisan Cantos.

mark the wans

"Peace comes of communication."-- Ezra Pound
"Congress shall make no law abridging freedom of speech
or of the press..." -- Anon
"To live well is to live with adequate information"-- Norbert Weiner