EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:38:43 EDT
yes, sorry, it was from Adams to Jefferson.... it's not clear that
"authoritarian" is the keyword, at least not for me.  Pound did believe that
someone who possessed the qualities that he enumerates throughout the Cantos
was the ideal leader because such a person would instill these qualities into
the civic body.  I don't think he was much concerned with how someone with
these virtues and capacities for influence came to power.

as for the bad rap on the Sophists, I have another view, a rather pragmatic
one.  I may be wrong about this but I think that sophism arose during a long
period of economic stagnation in Greece, where one of the few ways to gain
wealth was to win a lawsuit.  in that respect, sophism is alive and well in
our society.

joe brennan...

In a message dated 06/01/2000 6:50:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,