EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:34:35 -0500
"The latin tradition, more tolerant, catholic and mature , has not
sentimentalized about the deeply-pigmented skin, nor fixed upon it, on the
other hand, a stigma. You would not be so likely to get adepts of jazz in a
Black Belt in a latin land, nor the ferocity of lynching neighboured by
anti-White tracts, written by Whites, nor a universal thunder of psalms
from Black and White throats mixed, and evangelist extremes of intolerance
and hysterical expansion-- it would be more likely you would find a firmer
attitude, more satisfactory to both sides, far less superstitious, in the
Latin."
    -- Wyndham Lewis, PALEFACE (1929), "A Model Melting-pot"