EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:39:13 -0500
The term "social darwinism" is actually a misnomer.  The set of
justifications for european imperialism which the term invokes was actually
the brain child of a colleague (friend?) of Darwin's, Ed Spencer.  Darwin
didn't actual publish a set of social theories until well after the notion
of social darwinism had already been attributed to him--and I've read that
this misnomer was partially the reason for his even considering writing _The
Descent of Man_.