EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Suzanne F. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:19:54 -0500
>how did everyone become interested in pound?
>myself:
>my love of poetry eventually (and i'd think quite naturally) led me to him
>at a young age (as i have already refered to).
>just interested.
>jeff.

First off, thanks for asking!  I've been reading this newsgroup for 6
months and this is the first time I've responded.  Not because of lack of
interest I just feel that I'm not very qualified to participate - plus
everyone else seems to say it better than me.
        I'm an English major at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, Virginia).  I
was introduced to Pound by a used book sale where I picked up the collected
poems for 50 cents.  Soon afterwards I took a Modern Poetry class taught by
Tom Gardener and fell in love with Pound.  While taking Poetry, I was also
studying Classical and Bibical Backgrounds as well as Medieval Literature.
I found the crossover to be amazing and embarked on  a personal project to
study Dante's influence on the modernists poets (particularly Pound).
        I, like many other people in the group, was drawn to the way Pound
uses myth in his poetry.  Although I have many "favorite" poets  Pound gets
read the most!

Suzanne

Suzanne F. Kirby
"The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and
the heart of the child"
        - R.W. Emerson from "Nature"