EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:03:35 -0500
>>I have another set of questions, that some of you may also be able to
answer, regarding Pound and the Nobel Prize.  Should he/could he have
been a candidate?  Was he?  If so, why didn’t he get the Prize?<<

The story as I understand it, from sources I can't recall exactly, goes something along the lines of: Macleish worked very hard behind the scenes to get Pound released, but couldn't gain headway until such time as he could get the well-known Frost on the project.  Frost would have none of it...until Macleish concocted the strategy of convincing Frost that Pound would get much less attention if he were released.  The competitor in Frost found that a pleasant thought, and so, in some way that others on the list could convey more accurately, he bestowed his blessings on the project ( a letter I think)...and out springs Pound.
As to the Nobel, I believe it was Macleish who spread the to-this-day unsubstantiated rumor that EP was being considered for the prize, and wouldn't it look awful if America had it's Nobel Laureate in a loony bin.
Please, scholars, correct me.
Jay