EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
林秀玲 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:20:56 +0800
Rick,
In my earlier message, I wrote "post-modernist" while I was thinking about
"post-impressionist."
You are right; "rhythm" is the first canon of Hsieh He's "Six Canons."  I
would think his understanding is fair.  But somehow in that early period,
his Flight of the Dragon contains a lot of legends, such as the dragon takes
off when you add the final touch on the eyes, or the cave opens the door,
and the artist walks into it.  Those legends are circulating in ancient
China, indeed very fascinating, but somehow too "superreal."  This may
indicate that Binyon was very fascinated by those mythological stories.  In
the States, Arthur Dow was another one influenced by Fenollosa and promoted
the aesthetic ideas rooted in both Japanese and Chinese art.  Dow, himself
also an artist, was a teacher of Georgia O'Keeffe, and others; very
influential in art, design, and art education.  Take care,

Hsiu-ling