EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:09:09 -0500
I've been out sick for two days (since Tuesday around noon, and it's
now Thursday morning), and the EP list has been humming in my absence.
So I'm late in responding to your questions.  But I have a few
suggestions.

Could the "French newspaper" called "VU" perhaps be the group of
Japanese poets that called themselves the VOU group, centered on Katue
Kitasano? Pound was writing to Kitasano in the late 1930s, around the
time he was writing to Borah.

Also, "The Working Day" is a chapter from Capital, by Karl Marx, volume
1.  Pound cites this chapter many times.

And Charles Erskine Scott Wood was a popular American writer of the
1920s.  A resident of California, I believe.  Best known for a book
called Heavenly Discourse--a fantasy, I believe, perhaps in a Whitmanic
cadenced verse. But you'd want to check that out.  Wood also published
a book of Indian tales that might have interested EP.

Burt Hatlen