EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:54:48 +0000
See below my reply to Robert Hughes's post. I meant to send it to the List, just in case anyone else is interested.

From: [log in to unmask]: [log in to unmask]: RE: Rubbra/Ezra PoundDate: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:53:17 +0000

Dear Robert Hughes,Yes, I really am very pleased that my note has struck a chord. Thank you for letting me know.If you are going to investigate Rubbra on CD, may I risk making a few recommendations?I think the work I love most of all is the second string quartet - the whole work, but especially the very beautiful Cavatina:http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7114All of the works on this CD are cherishable.So far as the symphonies are concerned maybe a good place to start is here:http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%209714(the unpromisingly titled song-cycle Ode to the Queen on this disc is actually rather a find).And finally the violin concerto on Naxos:http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557591I should add the caveat that these are the recommendations of an enthusiast rather than a scholar!I look forward to seeking out your new book when it appears.Kind regardsRichard Edwards

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:23:13 -0700From: [log in to unmask]: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]: Re: Rubbra/Ezra PoundDear Richard Edwards,I thought it would please you to know your admiration of Edmund Rubbra is shared. I've always thought his music was equal to and sometimes superior to many of the works composed  between the Wars and up to the flourishing of Benjamin Britten. Rubbra's music that I knew was what was available on LPs, but  now you spur me to update my knowledge from the availability on CDs.It may interest you to know that Peter Pears looked into performing Pound's Le Testament and had possession of the score in Germany for a while. This information is contained in Margaret Fisher's essay "The Music of Ezra Pound" in The Yale University Library Gazette, Vol. 80, Nos. 3-4, April 2006 and soon to be elaborated on in our forthcoming volume on Le Testament, the final book in our series covering the Ezra Pound's music - www.ezrapoundmusic.com. Cordially, Robert Hughes

Find out how to make Messenger your very own TV! Try it Now!
Invite your Facebook friends to chat on Messenger
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719649/direct/01/