EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Martin Knepper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:15:45 +0100
The small dogs look at the big dogs;
They observe unwieldly dimensions
And curious imperfections of odor.
Here is a formal male group:
The young man look upon their seniors,
They consider the elderly mind
And observe its inexplicable correlations.

Said Tsin-Tsu:
It is only in small dogs and the young
That we find minute observation.

(May this song from Lustra serve as a salutation towards Jonathan and Cindy,

but I want to add a thought of my own:) when I subscribed to this NG I was
very impressed by all those big dogs which most of them at least had a
dinner
or ten with Pound, while I was born when he already had dropped in silence
etc...
And still I somehow feel honored to share all these insights & puzzlepieces
with you, having nothing to offer but a deep respect & love for EP but -
when Cindy raised her question about Whitman/Pound it was the first time
I somehow felt motivated for 'researching' on a raised topic on my own,
which
gave me the pleasure of reading parts of 'Leaves of Grass' again, and so
some
Carpenter and a very recommendable Book of Eva Hesse, titled 'Ezra Pound -
von
Sinn und Wahnsinn' (1978 München; a deep study, I wonder if it has ever been
translated into english, 't would be one of my few advantages as a native
german speaker if not;-) and Pound's poems o.c., but that's a weekly
routine.
Not to show off here with sparkling new ideas on this nor to write for its
own
sake but being a study beginner most time of my life I know how difficult it
can
be to find the right start, and thought, I had to answer quickly before
poor Cindy is flamed out of this group - in a most highly educated way,
I had no doubt ... Due to this my remarks on parallels Whitman/EP hade
become
quite unsharp; I agree that Pounds appeal towards il populo is quite
different
from Walt Whitman's. But an orchestra is set together of many different
tunes,
and you can lay different verses over the same melody. Does one say so? O my
Germish.
So thanks to Cindy, to me your question was very reviving, and  imhop any
topic
regarding Pound should be permitted to discuss here - yet there will never
be
as many students for Pound than for Faulkner, I'm sure.
But to Eva Hesse's book, she quotes Pound on Widman from his Essay
collection
'Patria mia' - I have must use the german translation, I have to apologize -
:
"[E.H.:Schon 1913 hatte er das, was er als 'unseren amerikanischen Grundton'
bezeichnete, als eine Eigenschaft definiert, die für ihn selber genauso
zutrifft
wie für Walt Whitman, von dem hier die Rede ist:]Es ist, soweit ich es
ausmachen
kann, eine gewisse Sorglosigkeit und Gelöstheit ['nonchalant and relaxed
manner',
I'd retranslate] wenn man so will; ein Hass auf alles Muffige [stuffiness],
eine
Gabe um des Ganze willen über Einzelheiten hinwegzusehen; ein Denken in
grossen
Räumen; der Mut, Angriffsflächen [point of attack] zu bieten. 'Camerado,
dies ist
kein Buch, Wer dies berührt, berührt einen Menschen.' Der Kuenstler ist
bereit,
fuer seine Person Belastungen auf sich zu nehmen, die sein Schaffen fast
zunichte
machen können... [to bear endurances in charge of annihilation of his
artistic work]
er macht sich anheischig, in seiner Kunst nichts zu unternehmen, wofür er
nicht mit
seiner Person einsteht."  E.Hesse, S. 277-78 - Patria Mia quoted in the
Zurich
Edition 1960.
(This final part of the quotation perhaps might link to Wayne Pounds'
question of the
'willing to die'-remark...)

Love
Martin