EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:05:01 EST
In a message dated 02/14/2003 10:32:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The real question, the one I am attempting to address squarely, is what
> should America now do?

Well, it should gets it collective ass out of other peoples' countries, it
should stop looting their economies, it should stop propping up ruthless
dictators, and it should stop devouring the world's resources out of
proportion to just about every other country.   For myself, I don't see
anywhere in your remarks that you are attempting to 'address squarely' what
America should do now.  Mostly you've been blithering about George Bush, and
how he was 'elected' -- and you don't seem to realize that a serious
disagreement exits within this country as to whether or not he was elected --
and how we should all get behind him and kill Iraqis, Afghanis,or whomever.
This is not, as some on this list would suggest, a sophisticated issue --
it's all about the money -- the tens of trillions (that's trillions, Bubba)
that Iraqi oil alone represents to Western Oil Companies.  That's why we're
being put at risk, so that the corpocracy can swell up like a bloated tick.
If we have to lose a few buildings -- or a few cities -- then tough shit.
(Please, don't anyone waste their time telling me that it's about World
Domination -- the only reason any country would want to dominate the world is
to cash in on it.)  Now I accept that there isn't much one can do about it,
but neither do we have to sit around writing paeans to our inglorious
leaders, and waxing sentimental about a view of America one gets from a Jimmy
Stewart movie.

jb...

They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.

Constant apprehension of war has the same tendency
to render the head too large for the body.  A standing military
force with an overgrown executive will not long be safe.
companions to liberty.  -- Thomas Jefferson

"America is a quarter of a billion people totally misinformed and disinformed
by their government. This is tragic but our media is -- I wouldn't even say
corrupt -- it's just beyond telling us anything that the government doesn't
want us to know."

Gore Vidal