EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:58:03 EDT
the issue is not whether Pound was democratic, but that he didn't despise
governments because they were democratic.  as far as saying that he believed
in the constitution, I think we can take him at his word, remembering, of
course, that the our concepts of the constitution are not the same.  my
objection is to the sweeping denunciations of Pound and his politics, as if
nothing he believed in wasn't somehow vitiated or contaminated by his more
obnoxious beliefs.  there's merit in much of what he had to say about
politics, as well as his economic positions.  the ugliness of Pound is not
news, and to imply, as wei has done, that his sins outweigh his value, is,
from my point of view, simply wrong.

Pound borrowed from many sources, so to say that the key to understanding him
is to understand his Confucianism is to reduce him to that, which is, again,
unhelpful.  the genius of Pound's poetry is that it isn't reductive, but, on
the contrary,  it increases and expands the experience.  as has been pointed
out, Mussolini's involvement in the Cantos is no greater than, Jefferson's or
Malatesta's.  To say that Mussolini is central to the Cantos, and thus to
Pound, makes one wonder how Mussolini & Confucius can simultaneously occupy
the same place, unless he's implying that there's no difference between the
two.  I don't get the impression that anyone is trying to sanitize Pound's
politics, and I find the suggestion offensive.

joe brennan

In a message dated 06/02/2000 3:18:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,