EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Roxana Preda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:00:04 +0000
Dear Poundians,

Now that mid-January is already behind us, it is maybe time to think
about our new article award.

Regarding published articles, we have a strange situation. 2012 seems
to have been a flourishing year for Pound scholarship. The MLA
bibliography showed 10 articles published in various journals, plus
the volume 39 of Paideuma, which had a strong Pound presence. See the
link to the article list, which I have attached through dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q3e2lcslc1gdkk/Articles%20in%20Pound%20studies%202012-2013.doc

By contrast, 2013 is peculiarly poor ? I have found just three
articles. Now this of course can occur because a number of them may
not have trickled down into the databases yet.

A number of these articles are freely available online. That is
especially fortunate ? some articles are literally in the palm of our
hand.

To this list we have to add two article collections:

Coyle, Michael and Steven Yao, eds. Ezra Pound and Education. Orono:
National Poetry Foundation, 2012.

and

Pratt, William and Caterina Ricciardi, eds. Roma/Amor. Ezra Pound Rome
and Love. NY: AMS, 2013.

Unfortunately I have seen neither of these collections and I would be
very grateful if some of you felt generous enough to let the society
have a copy.  I mean by that of course let ME have a copy so that I
can pass it on to reviewers and/or keep for reference.

I think it would be a good idea if the society had a Pound library of
its own. At first, this could be located in my office, but then I
could hand it over to my successor. The idea being that whenever some
of us can?t locate a material s/he could write to the society for help.

But even if the library idea does not materialize, it would be good to
have these collections for promotion in our newsletter and for
consideration for our award, hence my appeal to you for a copy of
these volumes.

Until now I have received one nomination:

Golding, Alan. ?From Pound to Olson: The Avant-Gardist as Pedagogue.?
Ezra Pound and Education. Ed. Michael Coyle and Steven Yao. National
Poetry Foundation, 2012. 183-210.

I would like to receive two more nominations so that the committee and
the peer reviewers can have a real debate.

Let us establish mid-February as a sort of deadline for the final
announcements of nominations, so that you have three weeks to look at
the articles and recommend the ones you like best. If two or more
people nominate the same article, so much the better.

For those of you who may have difficulties procuring articles of
interest, drop me an email, I have them all and can easily send you
the pdfs.

It is very possible I may have overlooked an article or a collection.
Please let me know if this is the case. We do need a complete picture
and I would be all too glad to update the list. Besides, just three
articles last year seems a bit suspicious to me.

I am curious to know what you think of these articles and look forward
to your input on them. Happy reading!

With all my best,
Roxana

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.