EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Steve Conger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:46:09 -0800
I've been following the recent discussions with some interest. I too came
across Pound in High School and became an instant fanatic. I don't
remember him being in any school curriculum. I was a big fan of Yeat's and
Eliot. It was their references to him that led me to special order a copy
of the Cantos. (Just as later it was Pound's dedications that led me to
Zukofsky and Bunting and for that matter WCW and HD). At Gonzaga, my
professors indulged, even if they didn't quite understand, my interest in
Pound. In Graduate school at the University of Idaho I had the good
fortune of attending a semester long course on Pound led by Daniel
Pearlman. I am no longer 20 or 30 something, but that is when I was most
involved. I must also admit I almost never encounter anyone anymore who
even knows who Pound is. That may reflect more the circles I travel in
than the state of Pound studies.

I recently reread the Cantos. It was about my eight time completely
through, but the first time in several years. As I did, I tried to access
what about Pound had (and to some extent still does) fascinate me so. For
one thing the Poetic craft.  I am a poet and Pound has always served as an
education on the possibilities of poetic line and form. For another, it is
his pagan, elusinian sense of the sacred. His reverence for the earth,
particularly in the late Cantos, strikes me as modern equivalents of the
homeric hymns. Third, is the scorn with which he observes the rise of
modern consumer economies.

But, another source of the fascination is how someone with such poetic
Intellegence can be so dull on some levels; how someone of such delicate
sensibilites can be so insensitive; how someone who sees the smallest
natural details--the waterbug's mittons--can be so blind.

I have to confess as I get older, his prejudices and bombasts bother me
more. Enough for this post.

= Steve Conger                      =
= Seattle Central Community College =
= Seattle WA                        =