EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:44:07 -0500
In Book 9 of the Analects, the flowers of the asian plum (Pound
translates 'prunus japonica') summon thoughts of a sweetheart far away.
So the unripe plums in "The River Merchant's Wife: A Letter" can be both
an archetypal symbol of innocent, inexperienced love as well as a
traditional emblem of separation and desire. As symbol of both innocence
and experience, the plum is an apt correlative for girl-becoming-woman.
Tim Romano