EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender: Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From: Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:55:02 -0500
Does anyone remember the half-hour film produced in 1970, I think, by
Howard Mandell, on EP?  I'll have to look up the name.  Mandell hired
me to write the study guide for it.  (I viewed the film at his house
in Princeton but have never owned a copy.)  Mandell's wife ran
Caedmon records, which made at least one recording of EP reading
from Cantos, etc.  [She told me she trekked to St. Eliz to bribe EP
with sausages, and that even though he got furious about the
attempt at bribery, he did the recording anyway.]

==Dan Pearlman, the Memorious, Ltd.

At 01:24 PM 2/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Alex: I'd be interested in more data on "... 6 or 7 films here in Germany ..."
>
>As for Jeff's post, here is the data on the film he mentions:
>
>_Ezra Pound: American Odyssey_ [video recording]. Written, produced, and
>directed by Lawrence Pitkethly. New York: New York Center for Visual
>History, c1988. 1 videocassette (VHS) (60 min.): sd., col.; 1/2 in. (Voices
>and Visions, [2]). Released by South Carolina Educational Television
>Network on PBS under the auspices of the National Endowment for the
>Humanities, as part of the Annenberg/CPB Project. Telecast Sunday, 7 Feb.
>1988, 4-5 p.m. (KLRU, Austin, TX). Features Hugh Kenner [pretty dapper in
>big red bow tie], James Laughlin, Olga Rudge, Mary de Rachewiltz, Alfred
>Kazin, Basil Bunting, et al.
>
>The video is available for purchase from PBS.
>
>Barry and Richard: Some years ago, if I remember correctly, Lawrence
>Pitkethly attempted to engage the interest of this Research Center [see my
>signature, infra] to purchase all the out-takes (many hours which ended up
>on the cutting room floor, so to speak) from the production of this film.
>The director at that time declined the offer. Perhaps Pitkethly still has
>this material, including the Bunting material "drawn from two hours of
>interview."
>
>Auguri
>
>-Will.
>
>>per today, Thu Feb 12, I've counted Poundian 1066 eMails collected in my
>>Pound files. The
>>answers to Jeff''s worrying about the temporal silence belong among the
>>funniest (while
>>unbeatably Pondian) answers ever.
>>Our online club of Poundians really is the GREATEST!
>>And it's true: after a lot of talking we often have these periods of
>>TEMPUS TACENDI... really
>>amusing, isn't it.
>>
>>BTW, Jeff: you talked about a film about EP you had watched recently.
>>Which film was it?
>>Did you mean the "American Odyssey", or which one?. Have you got any
>>details/data so we can
>>see if we know it or not?
>>
>>And: why not getting the EP ListServe to try to put up a list of films
>>with/on EP... Hasn't Gallup
>>collected some (?? Am just too lazy to go into the other room to look it
>>up...). I alone cd contribute
>>data about approx.  6 or 7 films here in Germany... Interested?
>>
>>alex
>
>Willard Goodwin, Bibliographer
>Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
>University of Texas at Austin
>P.O. Box 7219
>Austin, TX 78713-7219
>(512) 471-8944 (ext. 111); FAX (512) 471-9646
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>[At home]:
>9015 Appaloosa Run, Austin TX 78737-4044
>(512) 288-2373

Dan Pearlman
Department of English
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 02881

[Latest book: novel, BLACK FLAMES, White Pine Press, 1997]

Tel.: (home) 401 453-3027
      (office) 401 874-4659
Fax:  401 874-2580
Internet: [log in to unmask]