EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stephen Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 22:24:48 -0400
 From amazon.com, on Ford Madox Ford's Fifth Queen:

Now back in print, Ford's highly acclaimed portrait of Henry VIII's
controversial fifth Queen

This masterful performance of historical fiction centers on Katharine
Howard--clever, beautiful, and outspoken--who catches the jaded eye of
Henry VIII and becomes his fifth Queen. Corruption and fear pervade the
King's court, and the dimly lit corridors vibrate with the intrigues of
unscrupulous courtiers hungry for power. Soon Katharine is locked in a
vicious battle with Thomas Cromwell, the Lord Privy Seal, as she fights
for political and religious change.

Ford saw the past as an integral part of the present experience and
understanding, and his sharply etched vision of the court of Henry
VIII--first published in 1908--echoes aspects of Edwardian England as it
explores the pervading influence of power, lies, fear, and anxiety on
people's lives.

Stephen Adams

--
Stephen Adams