EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:04:57 -0500
>"The ideogrammic method has something in common with Eisenstein's
> theory of montage. A succession of images produces something which was not
> present in any individual image."

I made this point a few months ago, and it seemed to fall on
dead ears... so it is worth making again... thanks Peter....
this is absolutely true -- these two artists, working independently -
came up with exactly the same theories, applying them to different
mediums. I believe this notion of ideogrammatic method/montage,
i.e.: the juxtaposition of different images to "create" a third
(invisible, unstated) image - a resonance if you like - is the essence
of modernism. It is interesting that my other play about an artist
is about Eisenstein... interestingly enough, I was not led to him
by way of Pound... but by a curious accident one night in a
Sydney bookshop... Thetwo men (and the two plays - Sixteen
Words for Water and Eisenstein in Mexico) are certainly artistic
brothers!

Stoneking