EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 02:22:32 -0500
It turns out that the University of Hawaii library holds Mullins' _This
Difficult Individual, Ezra Pound_ (New York: Fleet Publishing Corp., 1961).
Some first impressions:

Physically, the book looks like the typical product of a marginal
publishing house: on paper just one grade better than newsprint, flimsily
bound, lacking a table of contents. It obviously wasn't copy-edited,
either; just on my first scan, I noticed that Mullins had confused Wilfred
Owen with Wilfrid Wilson Gibson and seemed unaware that Amy Lowell's _A
Critical Favor_ was an _hommage_ to James Russell Lowell's _A Fable for
Critics_.

There are some right-wing innuendoes, too: stuff about Alexander Del Mar
and dark hints along the lines of, "The only thing that prevents the
American people from reading Pound is the fear that knowledge may be more
challenging than slavery" (366). On the other hand, we owe Mullins for
smuggling a camera into St. Elizabeths, strictly against the rules, taking
some fascinating pictures of Pound in situ, and publishing them here.
Biographers have secured their places in literary history for less than that.

--
Jonathan Morse
Department of English