EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
laura and jeff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:40:25 -0500
>I agree with Jeff above if the items are enumerated in temporal order,
>but not always if in atemporal absolute one.

that is what i intended.

>It is most unlikely that
>young boys be influenced by parents or by local intellectual environment
>less than by books, while it is as much unlikely that a person of 45 or
>55 years old remains to be influenced only by the ambience during his/her
>childhood, and not by books.

this however, i'm not so sure:
i think the influence (esp in pound... his love and lasting firendship with
his folks throughout his life...) does remain a very important factor if not
checked. but i agree tho that it would not be the only influence.

>In the case of Pound, his anti-semitism
>became more and more vehement after around 1930. Interest in money is
>clearly one of the driving forces. But I guess he was probably influenced
>by some "Jew conspiracy" book also. And I believe that if the poet read
>the book by Webster when he was on an early stage of his anti-semitism,it
>would have exerted an influence on him. May be it drove him up to the
>next stage, or it confirmed his hitherto wobbly belief in conspiracy
>theory.

and thus it is built upon by the other influences over time. but this brings
up a whole other question: would pounds nagating of linear time undermine
this? did his belief in a non-linear mode of thinking sink in deep enough to
disrupt any kind of order like this?
trying to find that barb of time book...
jeff.

        There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass,
        there are only
        eyes in all heads
        to be looked out of

                             -charles olson, from "letter 6" (of the maximus                                    poems)