EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:13:05 -0400
At the 2006 MLA convention in Philadelphia, the group in attendance at the last Pound Society panel agreed to invite papers for two panels at the 2007 Modern Language Association Convention, to be held in Chicago, December 27-30.

  1.  “Pound and the Chicago Renaissance." Papers for this panel might explore Pound’s relationship to Poetry magazine or to individual figures in the Chicago Renaissance, such as Carl Sandburg.

  2. "Pound and the Modernist as Decadent."  Papers for this panel should explore Pound’s place within Decadence as an international movement.

I set a deadline of March 15 for proposals for these two panels, and I distributed the invitation for proposals both through the MLA Newsletter and through the Modernist Studies Association website, as well as through the Pound listserv.

As of today, March 23, I have received three proposals for the "Modernist as Decadent" panel.  In addition, at the 2006 meeting Vince Sherry offered to present a paper as part of this panel.  However, I have received NO proposals for the "Pound and
the Chicago Renaissance" panel, and the deadline for submitting program materials to the MLA office is fast approaching. (The deadline is April 3.)

Thus I have abandoned the idea of trying to organize a panel on the topic of Pound and the Chicago Renaissance. Instead I would like to extend an open invitation: if anyone would like to present a paper at the Chicago MLA convention on any
Pound-related topic, please let me know ASAP.

Burt Hatlen